Sunday, January 20, 2013

Under a Gaze


I have never let go of our friendship
Even when it felt so absent to me
We are attached in ways
that cannot be easily explained

I have nothing to offer

Beyond laughter, a little bawdiness
Serious conversations and a tender
Glass of wine with sip and hands cluttered
With details of travel, of speaking engagements
Of lost and lasting loves

We know the little things about each other

People say we’re loyal to a fault
Pawing at each other like little kittens
Clawing at balls of yarn and
Playing with our food

I need a belly rub sometimes

But these are just some of the details
That have nothing to do with the substance
Of the end of connections, the beginnings
Of new adventures
The combination of relief-grief-disbelief

No one signs on for things to end

Things just end sometimes
maybe the move into midlife chaos
Is as good a time as any to
Clean the corners of our lives,
To start from another place

We never really start over, do we?

I am at the end of this leg of the journey
And everything is under a gaze of whether 
I will I keep It, put it in a box to pull out and reminisce,
Throw it away—too small, too old, too useless

Everything is up for questioning

© Valerie Bridgeman
January 19, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment