Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Promised Myself

Because I promised myself
that everyday I would think out loud
put it in verse, in cadence
tell some truth I couldn't 
bear to tell, make my hands
move across the keys
everyday, even if I thought
the results were shit, I'd do
it beyond trolling Facebook
or chatting with friends
or lovers or people I 
wish loved me

because I promised myself
that I would  beat back the doubt
and silence the critic in my own head
that I would say, "you're lying"
every time I heard from 
somewhere in my belly
that no one cared what I had
to say

I care. These words can't die inside
They could, but that would
be a grave unworthy of them

and if no one but me knows
what these words mean
or why they're important
I am One person enough

because I promised myself

© Valerie Bridgeman
January 22, 2013


2 comments:

  1. If no one but me I am one person enough...oh I need that printed out and posted everywhere in my life! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you always for coming by and being my "Two person." I'm struggling to keep this covenant with myself, but... I'm struggling...

      Delete