Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cleaning House

My friend laughs at the notion of the "one dust bunny" she says is in the one corner of my house when in answer to the question, "what are you doing?" I say, "cleaning my house."


I clean, sweep away
miniature cobwebs
dirt dragged in on
dog's paws and padded shoes
conscious of how it
accumulates slow 
without notice
until its time to wipe
it away with cloth
or tears

I clean the bedroom mirror
see my reflection
the earnest way I have
chosen to move my hands
in circles
over every inch
pay attention
to the spots that
get missed because
I am going too fast

I clean in ritual
praying to Clorox smell
self-cleaning oven
windex streaks
Murphy's oil on
wooden floors
my knees/back bent
fingernails split from too much
water without rubber gloves

I am spent from making
it shine, livable
until it needs water,
cleaner, elbow grease
again, until I can
see where the dirt
has accumulated
or start cleaning
whether I see
it or not.

© Valerie Bridgeman
January 26, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment