Saturday, June 15, 2013

OPENING DOORS

Opening Doors

for Charisse Tucker

Before yesterday, it had been two years--
Two years, five months and several tears.
Abandoned again, this time in the name of the Lord,
Silence sanctified in the womb of religious war.

I missed you. I railed, I prayed, I wanted.
And then--I resigned that this reality
is just the way it would be; doors closed
to pizza runs and ice cream parlor memories
would never open again.

And then, you called
a voice from my beginnings
my past flushing/left into my life again
I breathed/sighed even
that I did not simply "click"
you off/the phone bearing
your voice/your hopes to me
across the wind and around my hurt

I am surprised by the grace
given, that you had what you needed
inside your soul
to reach out for me and that I
had the power I needed
to let you open the door
again/to help you open it
in the hearing

No judgment for the time or the tears
that have passed between us.
No rancor for conversations
held only in my head with you.
There is no making it up;
there is only this day--
yesterday's gift--
doors opening.

© Valerie Bridgeman
August 26, 2011

DRAFT (doesn't feel complete)

POST FROM "NOTES" ON FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment