Wednesday, June 26, 2013

ON THE COURT TOO

So the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional on the basis of free access, that is, the federal government can't refuse benefits to people duly married in states that allow same-sex marriage. Military spouses can get benefits. The IRS can't ignore SGL marriages for the sake of estate taxes. I'm sure there are other benefits and responsibilities, but these are the biggies. 

And then the Supreme Court declined to hear the case on Proposition 8 from California declaring that the people bringing the suit had no standing to bring it. A lower court had already ruled that Prop 8 was unconstitutional and opponents brought a suit "on behalf of the citizens of California." It's true a majority of the voters who showed up voted for Prop 8. I suppose I'll never understand why. I think the people who didn't show up for the vote just couldn't imagine that in California (of all places) that Prop 8 would pass. And so they stayed away in droves. And opponents whipped up a frenzy among conservative religious folk who thought it was their "bounden duty" to "defeat the gay agenda." I suppose I will never really understand it. I don't mean that I've always believe it was "okay to be gay," as if what I believed or didn't should have any impact what so ever on anyone else's life. It shouldn't. But I used to believe that my beliefs were superior and that I was commanded to build a world that suppressed other's lives, desires, and rights. It was the "Christian" thing to do. I was so trained. But then I read. And traveled. And met and loved people. And became a real Christian. So I guess I do understand them... I just don't want to be them anymore and haven't been for a long time (thank god).

© Valerie Bridgeman
June 26, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment