Thursday, June 13, 2013

HAPPY

The dogs don't know what to make of each other--Solomon and Roscoe. They climb over us and sniff and snarl and grin and play while we laugh and talk and drink wine and vodka and gin and rum and water. The bodies rest in each other's presence and the voices rise and fall in joy. I am happy with my brother and sons and friends in the room. I am happy. I don't remember the last time I felt this happy. We watch the 4th game of the NBA playoffs--the pretense for the gathering. I know there is work to do, but right now, it's time to laugh and joke and tell stories and laugh and watch the game. I am glad for laughter. For feet touching and arms holding and the dogs running among us. I am glad for the possibilities we discuss, for the dreams we share while the TV tells the story of game between millionaires--we will never have that kind of money, but we cheer them on anyway. And tonight, tonight... I am happy.

© Valerie Bridgeman
June 13, 2013

1 comment: