Saturday, June 15, 2013

EXAMPLE

We never imagined 
love would not last, 
it seemed so solid
so rock/steady, 
so sure
we couldn't 
see anything
getting in its way, 
stopping the groove 
that connected us
on Saturday nights
and in our prayers
on Sundays: 
we couldn't
tell it was 
slipping 
away

Do you remember 
how we laughed, 
how we reminded
each other of 
September kisses
and faces upturned, 
eyes expectant; 
how the kitchen
primed us 
for succulent love
how we were hungry 
for each other
how I cooked for you
because of it?

You were my fantasy,
I was your fire and we
sang to each other's souls
out of sheer need
shining in the darkest
of night to light the way
for one another,
you still are my star
and the way I see
the world when I am lost
You still are the reason
I smile when I would
rather ball up, fetal style
and sleep away 
the sorrow

You stil are
the best example
I have of love.

© Valerie Bridgeman
June 15, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment