Monday, March 25, 2013

TALISMAN

I wear it daily
like a talisman this token
small sign big story
of memories carved in
the shape of your voice
soft ...full ....strong

I turn it in hand
palm to brown through
ten fingers savor
stare at it
the pull of its power
remind me of your
touch your embrace

I wear it like magic
like conjure call your name
without speaking it
heart-shaped consecration
of who you are
to me

I don it like amulet
ward off regret
betrayal doubt
wait for the laughter
surge of singing
that wells with
my tears

It was made just for me 
for you to give 
to put it around my neck
collar me in grace
embue it 
with your soul
breathe your
love on it 
into me

fashioned in the shape 
of your strong arms 
two hearts
maybe more
come round again
entwined encrusted
with gems and
desire

a pledge a token
a talisman a conjure
a simple intricate
nod of recognition
that love never
ends

©  Valerie Bridgeman
March 25, 2013

An attempt to rewrite the TOKEN poem posted on March 14, 2013


TOKEN

I pick it up, lay it across
my open palm, stare at it
resting there, on my hand
feel the power of its intent
your promise seem so
long ago today but
small sign big story

I run my finger along
the edges of gems
that rim the design
look through empty
spaces, the inside gutted
to make the shape

a parting gift

it's two hearts

three, maybe four
depends on
how you look at it
infinite, small and mighty
unending circle
comes around again
to love in sterling silver
and gold, beautiful
in intricate simplicity
a token, a pledge
that love
never ends

thank you

© Valerie Bridgeman
March 14, 2013




No comments:

Post a Comment