Saturday, March 2, 2013

NOVEL Idea

I couldn't put it down for months
it walked around in my head...
the book, its characters
the little girl, especially
and I keep waiting on them to finish
the story... but they tell me
in my dreams that they are waiting
on me to be ready for the truth

the uncle's stern look is a ruse
I know; he loves hard and long
and has been hurt, but he
too knows I'm not ready for a
story too close to my own
borders, and he waits
stares me down, looks at
the journal next to my bed
and waits and stares
and I look away

the woman who hears the Voice
has already told me who she
is and what she sees and how
she knows that I know because
she tells me, it's a little bit of
me, which is why the story is
still in my head, bumping around
in my heart instead of in the chapter
that keeps knocking up against
the "real" deadlines

the novel and its characters
don't care about my real work
in fact, they say, tell our story
and the rest of that inane
innocuous work will follow--
besides this fiction is the
closest thing to Truth that
most people will ever know

and looking away won't make it go away
and not writing won't either, but it will
burn your eyes when you're reading
one more professional book about some
obscure section of some obscure chapter
of an ancient story that if you listen
is a little like the novel idea 


© Valerie Bridgeman
March 2, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment