Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Poet for a Friend

For Jaha (I love me some you)

We find ourselves
savoring each others words
as we listen to the details
we would leave off were
we talking to a less interested person

we're telling stories
about our lives--things
we've said before--what
we're eating, the up-and-down
love affair with our bodies
run or sleep--take your pick
we each know the way
this story turns in our minds
and so we can say
out loud we
google the wrong people
stress over the right mistake
and think less of our
own challenges because--
really--we haven't suffered
enough to complain

(that's the lie we correct for each other)

I hold on to your words, you repeat
after me when you like a phrase
tonight our stories seem
more meaty, like
we can sink our teeth
into them, taste
the possibility of freedom
as we both ponder ways
we've surrendered to 
take care of everyone 
except ourselves--
we fortify each other 
for the decision to write poetry, 
to run or walk to the nearest exits,
to star in our own drama, 
make it a one-woman-show 
tell the others actors, 
this play has no role for you--
and mean it.

Wink at each other 
across the country--
west coast love, 
east coast comfort
talk poetry and love
and paying bills
moving and being still
we hold each other
accountable
to our self-love

you understand me
I get you
DId I say? I'm glad
you're my friend.


© Valerie Bridgeman
February 27, 2013

2 comments:

  1. Oh thank you so much for this! This needs to go on my bathroom mirror...in red lipstick! Thank you for getting me.

    ReplyDelete