Sunday, February 24, 2013

Nothing is Forever

I have no storage space
for all these memories
things that need 
discarded
thrown away

I wish I remembered why
I believed they
were important
before, this vase
these cards
letters you wrote
so long ago
the meaning
lost in the fog
of time

These knickknacks
have stories I would
have to invent
since the reasons
I have kept them
are lost in the dust
that surrounds
them, along with 
the files whose
names I no longer
recall

I am sure I thought
I would never forget
when I tucked
them inside a book,
pressed against
my heart, sure I swore
allegiance, that
I would keep each one
always

but I am poised
over the basket
that will take
pieces of my life
to a landfill
that will clear
another corner
and remind me:

nothing is forever


© Valerie Bridgeman
February 24, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment