Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Listen

I listen because 
that's what friends
do; I want to do 
so much more
like hold you, 
stroke your face
say "it's going 
to be alright" 
even
if I don't 
believe it

I listen 
because you 
ask me
to listen 
for more than
the words you use.
I can hear 
your heart
cracking, 
hear your soul
whimpering 
under the weight
of feeling 
insane, thinking
you're unable 
to fix it

and you're not because it's not yours to fix

loyal to the end 
and pushing 
the "end"
as far as you can
because that's 
who you are 
and I'm listening
because that's 
all you want 
from me, can 
stand from me.... 
plus,
I'm a poor 
substitute
 for who you
really want, 
who's not available

and this isn't about me anyway

just that I'm here
and want to be 
for you, available
to hold the rant
the want tos
the wish I hads
the what did I do wrongs
the is it mes
the I feel crazys
the W... T... Fs

and the prickly
don't hold me 
I need you 
to hold me
don't you dare 
you'll make
it worse 
because
I don't want 
your love 
to heal
any place 
of this pain
right now, 
it's mine
to hold... 
don't you
dare
love 
me 
like
this

© Valerie Bridgeman
February 22, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment