Sunday, February 5, 2012

Poetry Saved My Life

Poetry saved my life. Literally. I wrote so that I would not kill myself. I know poets all over the world who tell this same story. But I also wrote to tell myself the truth. Even when I couldn't say it out loud, I could write it. Sharon Bridgforth was a mentor and muse for me. She still is, even though I don't get to see her or talk with her. I follow her work. She taught me to honor the ritual that arose in my writing. This poem, written in 2005, was for a Womanist Consultation gathering at the American Academy of Religion. And the ritual follows...


Voice

Senegal: sanibaat: “throwing voice,” disruptive means of entering discourse

Sanibaat—throw your voice into this talkin’ plain
We are responsible for the words we say
Wrestling angels/chasing demons
Holding the sound of the future
In our throats
We know what wisdom sounds like
Have heard its tones screamed
In hollows/sung low and loud
We know sanibaat

Throw our voices wide
We have eaten sorrow bread
It stuck tight in teeth
Years of dry and conjured sweetbread
We know how to throw our voice
Of hopes
Fears
Encounter the dust and guts we are
Dig in the dirt of our own hearts
Tell ourselves the truth
Sometimes lie out loud

Where are voices
Stilled by the thin fingers of death
That are never silences
Sanibaat-thrown voices
Into eternal winds
Whispering voices
Into our ears
We are responsible for what
We hear
Of mercies
Of wounds ripped wide
Of fire-talking grandmothers
Healing voices
Thrown into sanitized spaces
Bear witness

We know how
To create our own space
Disrupt what harms us
Participate in our own well-being
Claim the sound that rumbles
From our belly to our lips
We know how to welcome
The ancestral drums
The rhythmic cadence
Of laughter
How to let it take over our skin
To make us whole
Unfragmented pieces of wisdom
In voices long-since stilled
But not silenced

We know how to throw
Our voices into the mix
Beat witness
Make sweetbread
Change the world
Sanibaat
Throw it
Sanibaat
Throw your voice
Sanibaat
We know how

© Valerie Bridgeman


Ritual for Womanist Consultation (2005)
*This ritual was done to the rhythm of hands tapping and feet stomping like drum beats... the leader said the words and they were repeated by the participants... it's a ritual for women that bears repeating...

Senegal: sanibaat: “throwing voice,” disruptive means of entering discourse

my soul, intellect, energy, one good nerve
the unified whole

[we passed bread] and said:
this is the bread of our tears
of our years
of our hopes
of our fears
This is the bread of our plans
of our desires
of our yearnings
of our mercies
of our wounds
This is the bread of our healings
our many, many healings

it is the nature of the dependency that counts

it is the nature of the dependency that counts
what I thought counted, doesn’t
I have to own my self
my soul
my intellect
my energy
my one good nerve

i am creating my own healing atmosphere
i deserve it; i deserve it
i reject the evil that violates my own sacred space
i refuse the shame I’ve internalized

bear witness, my sisters, bear witness
bear witness, my mothers, bear witness

i am creating my own healing atmosphere

sani baat / sani baat / sani baat

I am throwing my own voice
I am disrupting every process that harms me, that harms you

My authentic self, my real self
welcoming my own self
into my own skin
unified whole
no longer fragmented; no longer embracing the wounds

bear witness, my sisters, bear witness
bear witness, my mothers, bear witness

writing myself into being
singing myself into being
dancing myself into being
teaching, preaching, thinking
myself into being

bear witness
bear witness
i bear witness
and welcome myself into my own skin

© Valerie Bridgeman
November 2005


1 comment:

  1. Valerie you are a amazing Poet/Healer/Soul Sister. I am honored to know you. Blessed to be on the Journey with You...

    ReplyDelete