Sunday, February 5, 2012

I Am Not Juggling

I'm testing my ability to do vocals... videos are next....Click on the title below to hear the poem...

I Am Not Juggling


I am not juggling
I put down the balls/plates/the knives
To feed and drink from a well of my longing
To let my soul soak in a river of words
And be renewed
To remind myself that I am nothing and everything
That the earth does not need me to be in motion
In order for the world to turn

But while I’m on the planet it matters….

I have decided to say no
But not in a theoretical way
I am offering my “no” as a sacrifice to love
On the altar of my survival

My mother once told me that if I died tonight
You would figure out how to live without me

You ask me if I’m sad
And the truth is, I am just human
Holding on in the early dark of night
Between wake and sleep
And dreams that bid me explain myself
While I wait on daybreak,
And my eyes squint tightly to resist
The pain of sunshine

I have known hurt—this much is true
But I also have wrapped myself so tightly
Around a lover that my arms ached
And that embrace became a prayer
Into the universe, begging
Juggling between want and need
Longing to be in control
Of what has never been controllable

Explain this:
Why do we insist on the grind,
The treadmill of time and the taste of frantic
When we could be still and soak in
The sweet grace of breath
Feel our face touched by the hand
Of a grandmother who loves us so much
That teacakes are a natural progression?

Today I swore to myself that my life
is scripture enough
To love me is to love god
And after years of trying to coordinate
The rhythm of three plates for two hands
I have reminded myself that my mother
Was a prophet:

If I died tonight, you would find a way
To go on without me

And I would have missed the opportunity
To enjoy the words of poets
Who like me wonder how much
Of life had been sliced by a knife
Of success into nothingness
And whether they have sold
Their lives for balls and chains
When they could have been writing poetry

So today,
I will not wait to take a break
Next week or the following Sunday
Or come Christmas season
To be still and know
That while I’m on this planet,
It matters that I’m here
And that I am a poet


© Valerie Bridgeman
November 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment