Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jaha the poet's muse

I started this blog (to go with the other one that I started) because of Jaha Zainabu.


My blog's title is a riff off her title, but not her life. She (my friend and niece and muse) has insisted many times that I should catalog my life, my stories, my poems, if for no other reason than I have grand daughters who will want to know me one day. And I haven't. But she inspires me and pushes me. So, in the days ahead, old poems will appear here. And I am sure that typing them up will make me want to write new poems and life's stories. The other blog will continue to be, mostly, about love, inthisplaceweflesh. But here, because of Jaha, you will get to read my poetry. Here's one of my favorites from 10 years ago:


We Came Roaring out of the 1970s

We came roaring out of the 1970s
On the back of a Suzuki 900
Four gears up, one down
And the only time I held on tight
Is when I wanted to feel the heat
From your body

We rode without helmets, 30 miles
Over the speed limit and wild
On graveled roads, kicking
Dust and rocks

We laid that bike down so many times
That we believed we were invincible
We’d get up with skinned knees,
Burnt calves, and laughing
At each other’s Afros laying down
Away from our face

We were foolish, and young
Doing what foolish young people do,
Laughing on the edge of death,
Unaware and unafraid

Sometimes, we’d hit a wind tunnel
And skid; we learned to lean
In the same direction on time
To steady the bike and our
Own heartbeats

We learned the names of rivers
In Central Alabama so we could
Plot our course by name
Rode past lichen-covered trees,
Sat on the sides of roads, popped
The heads off wild mushrooms
Told each other secrets

We were planning the future of the world,
And calculating the days to graduation,
Last embraces, good-bye kisses
And scholarships.  You never planned to leave,
But I didn’t know it at the time


That bike connected us
To the same dreams,
But you were planted in
Tall Sylacauga corn,
But I had Senegal
And the Ivory Coast
In my veins

Once, on highway 76 to Talladega,
An 18-wheeler played chicken with our lives,
Riding hard up on our bumper, he
Sandwiched us between him the rough
Wall of clay and dogwoods on the right
And a yellow pick-up truck

I felt your muscles tighten,
And my throat followed suit.
It was the only time we were ever scared
On that bike

I think of you on rainy days, and the times
We rode past the Hamilton house, the
Haunted hollows on our way to Waco pool
We swam upstream, and kept each other
Company in our madness

You, and that bike, were my best friends


© Valerie Bridgeman [Davis]
26 October 2002

1 comment:

  1. what a beautiful poem. there are too many lines to quote that would be my favorite. but if i juuuuust had to..."we learned the names of rivers..." that whole stanza. thank you

    ReplyDelete