Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Nearest Companion

(An Ode to LOVE)


"You sound like you're in love! Who is it!? Spill, friend!!!" ~ someone trying to figure out why Love is my nearest companion these days

Too many days slipped away
into mourning that left me weak, closed off and small
wilted and withered into a woman I did not want to be
unable, unwilling to Love
unable, unwilling to Hurt

Too many ways to avoid risk and miss the reward
of touch, a kind smile, a tender kiss on cheek, on lip
or to close off from admiring eyes and hands
and to miss the magic and mojo
of conjurers skilled in bringing out the best in me

Love kept knocking, seeking, asking me
to come out to play, to live in full view
to trust that if I were ever hurt/betrayed/wounded again
I would survive--again--and Love would meet me
at the door, hold my hand/hug me close
apply what poultice my soul needed to try--again

This memory is why Love is my nearest companion
these days, a comfortable wrap/cool glass of water
a sip of sunshine on College Avenue
sand sliding through beach-worn fingers on Cape Cod
Laughter on the other end of a phone call
Poetry at Ruta Maya late into the night
mics hot from the breath of poets
a walk in Long Park/a cuddle with a zen Yorkie
who knows nothing except I am the one who opens
the bag with food in it

I have not forgotten that Love
cries for little 3-year-old girls found dead
or thousands of stomach-bloated starving Somali children
or that Love aches for justice/righteousness
or that Love is not simply simple pleasures
but ferocious She-bear protective
of those who cannot protect themselves
That, too, is what has returned in me...

You keep prying into my heart/wondering
how I got this happy/why letting go and falling into Love's
wide-open arms cracked me open/why I am not
bitter/withdrawn/afraid--still
how I come again to the possibility of betrayal
with utter faith that Love lives

You keep wondering the name of my Beloved
who is priming the pump/drawing the
redemption out of my center
who holds the map to my interior country
who knows my name that no one else knows

How Love has pushed/prodded her way
into my imprisoned soul/flipped the locks
and waved me free

You keep asking "Who do you LOVE!!!????"
Love, please....
Look in the nearest mirror
point at the woman/the man you see there--
and say your name.

© Valerie Bridgeman
August 17, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment