Monday, December 23, 2013

IN EIGHT (8) DAYS

In 8 days, the "commitment" 
will have happened. Kept.
Write every day. A poem.
A rant. A story. A letter.
A hope. A cry for help. A cry.
A laugh. A wish. A desire.
In 8 days all the repetitious
words will be over. Then 
the hard part starts. A year
of reading how many times
I repeated myself. What was
on my mind over and over.
How I couldn't stop worrying
or longing or loving. And
trying to make some sense
of those words--edit them
to their full truth. Or lie.
Or just give up on it for
a better choice of words.
Reach for a thesaurus
somewhere in my life.
But first I'm going to 
celebrate that I kept the
promise to myself. And
make another one. Some
promise to keep. To me.
But first, a good hearty class
of red wine. Rich. Full-bodied.
Tasty. Release. But for now.
I have 8 days in front of me
and a promise I'm bound and
determined to keep.

© Valerie Bridgeman
December 23, 2013

2 comments:

  1. Yes. A promise kept! I'm glad we were on this road together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too Jaha. There were days when I was so embarrassed at how poorly I wrote and how amazing you are, but I pushed past my own lack of self-worth/self-respect to write even what I considered crap.

      Delete