Monday, August 19, 2013

TIME

I don't know how to mark the time
between us or between this moment
where I am not sure which way
to go or even where to stand
to test the wind... it's been a long
time since I felt this unsure,
though I do not feel lost (not
sure how it's possible to hold
both "unsure" and "not lost"
in the same space, but I do)
And the time it takes to ponder
whether I have followed my joy
or lost my mind is a question
that keeps coming up
But who can say when time
moves swiftly past one
decision and on to the next
not stopping ... waiting for
no one as we've always been
told... time is a taskmaster
demanding that we keep
it moving, ponder on the run
think while you clean
pray
cook
wash and fold clothes
scrub the toilet
walk
just know that time
won't stand still
there will be no Joshua
miracle of sun
holding up the clock
for a battle of the mind
to be won. I don't really care
that time insists on 
constancy... I just need to figure
out how to keep up

Valerie Bridgeman
© August 19, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment