Monday, August 12, 2013

DOES THAT TELL YOU ANYTHING

I left a tenured position
Black Woman
Tenured
In an American
Institution of
Higher Education
I left without another job
To which to go

Does that tell
You anything
About toxicity
About racism
About sexism
About being the “only one”
In 2013 at a “liberal”
Institution

I left of my own free will
I couldn’t have
Another hive outbreak
Another breakthrough migraine
Another panic attack
Another asthma attack

Waiting to enter a classroom
With no support
Accused of knowing nothing
After years of study
Years of being questioned
By students, arrogant, nasty
Wondering whether my degree
Amounted to anything

I left, with no job
To save my life
If I could
Prepared to flip
Hamburgers
Or live under a bridge
Anything but teach

And, I love to teach
Does that tell you
Anything?

Valerie Bridgeman
© August 12, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment