Saturday, August 24, 2013

COMMEMORATION

Today people from all across the country and from all spectra of life and ethnicities commemorated the 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom. I was glad that Bayard Rustin's contributions 50 years ago were front and center in so many of the discussions and interviews--the Intellectual Architect for the March, a Quaker committed to active non-violent resistance and unapologetically out gay man.

Maybe the next major celebration, they'll highlight the women--Ella Baker, Dorothy Height, Maya Angelou, Prathia Hall, and on and on. I wonder why women are always the last to be commemorated. 

I wasn't there. It didn't compel me; it didn't feel "urgent" to be there. It did feel "historic" but not necessarily "prophetic." This observation is not an indictment. Perhaps its the fact that we can organize with a click and be on Google+ hangout in a moment; or that young activists and organizers are getting on about the business without much historical reference. I'm glad my friends were there. I am. 

I actually wished I could be there. But sitting in my living room, listening to PBS's American Master documentary on James Baldwin, and thinking deeply about what my role is in changing the world made me a part of the march 2013. It really did, though I won't have any instagram photos to upload about being in Washington. I tweeted and Facebook posted all morning and afternoon as a part of the event. In 1963, no one could have done that. But it's 2013. 

Maybe in 2038, the 75th anniversary, I'll have another reality--I'll be 79 then. Healthy and pursuing justice. And loving. And being loved. Here's hoping the world won't need to "commemorate" this landmark event in USA history by noting how very much things smell and look all too familiar to the concerns they had in 1963. I hope we will be saying something much, much better about our country and about the world when I'm 79..

Valerie Bridgeman
© August 24, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment