Thursday, July 4, 2013

4TH OF JULY

Perhaps I should have a revolutionary
war poem in me, railing against the 
imperialistic machine, the death
that comes in dollars and cents
today, maybe I should lament the aftermath
of U.S. policies and be careful of the chicken
I eat, knowing (wink) that it is filled with
hormones unnatural to it. Perhaps,
I should proclaim the truth that this day
we celebrate is not the Independence
of very many people: it wasn't in 1776
and damn sure ain't in 2013
the bombs bursting in air
banks exploding credit
and slaves to a dream that
turns quick to nightmare
Perhaps I should care
about all of it today
but I'm closing my eyes
and ears to the grief of this land
is your land, my land does not
exist blues. Forget the 
way Brittney had to school
someone just today
about their BS racism
but she already knew, really she did
I know she did and maybe I should
rail against it today
but ice cream is the salve for
right now and that's all
it takes to make the day
go away quiet behind the
boom of fireworks just
outside the window
I'm tired, besides
I don't have a revolutionary
bone in my weary body
today.... catch  me
tomorrow, though
I might have a war poem
a revolutionary love
a kiss to hope
a dream
maybe
tomorrow

© Valerie Bridgeman
July 4, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment