Saturday, July 6, 2013

48 HOURS

45 people in 48 hours
have been shot in Chicago
1 person (average) every hour and six minutes
1 hour and 6 minutes later
someone shot in Chicago
I wish I didn't know this stat
I wish I could write about
Solomon, my Yorkie or 
my friend's cat Michael
and how they each like to cuddle
I wish I could write about love
and how 13 hugs is the minimum
any body should have EVERY 
day Leo Buscaglia said
and about how touch starved
bodies might be among the 45
shot in 48 hours... 8 dead. 
I wish I didn't know that stat
I wish I could write about the
way the wind blows
through maple leaves
and a slight scent fills
the air with each breeze
about how heat radiates
from the pavement and your
hands, the way you touch me
I wish I didn't know about
untimely death, about
unnatural death, gun wounds
and trauma that lasts, about
shootings in Chicago or
Philadelphia or LA or Detroit
or anywhere... no, I wish
there was no such thing
as shot or dead people 
by gun fights by gangs 
by "disrespect"
or territorial turf wars
by wrong party in the wrong part
of the city, by kids caught 
in cross fires... I'd rather
be thinking of making
love with you, of laying on a bed
eating strawberries and laughing
I'd rather not know
this stat...

© Valerie Bridgeman
July 6, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment