Saturday, May 18, 2013

LEAVING WELL


Leave well, she says
means that "people may remember
how you came but they'll
never forget how you leave"

I stand on the brink of leaving
and know that "well" is in the eye 
of the beholder, that people judge
choices they would not make
in the midst of storm
and angst, that sometimes
people define "leaving well"
as slinking away into the night
silent, leaving the story of it
to the spinsters

but I decided that Audre Lorde was right:
Your silence will not protect you

people will believe ill and mark
your intentions in nasty ways
accuse you of bad behavior
bad motives and actions you never took
tell the truth, my inner voice
demands of me, tell the truth
and do not weigh the consequences
of controversy and tension that
make people uneasy, make them defensive
truth telling always stirs up
gunk from the bottom
and saying the emperor has no clothes
won't get you an award for observation skills

it will only get you scape-goated
it will only make people circle the wagons
and suddenly, you who've endured
hostility for years, are called the hostile one
but "regrets" are luxuries we can't afford
and leaving is necessary medicine

I wait on reparative love
messy chocolate kisses
hands dirty from mud pies
stories that never end

I wait for the brewing 'next'
with no regrets for what was or what will be
I've learned Oriah Mountain Dreamer's lesson:
to be faithless to someone else's version of me, 
in order to be faithful to myself

I'm going out in dignity and grace,
no matter how anyone  else interprets it, 
because saving one's life
is always a good leave-taking.

 © Valerie Bridgeman
May 18, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment