Friday, April 19, 2013

TURNING IT OFF

Today's sanity requires
turning it off--the TV, the radio
the internet, Facebook
the non-stop drivel about
Boston, about bombs
about dead people
about evil and terror
and people who bring
their bigotry to the conversation
who think bomb-for-bomb
is a reasoned response

I care that they are dead
I do; my eyes are leaking
about all these deaths
and the world where
they are common
like red light-green light
where it's on a timer
regular consistent
where we barely flinch
anymore, where we are
reduced to sighs
and going on about
our business
as if this violence
is not our business

but if I'm going to be worth
the revolution, I have to turn
it off today so as not to
go numb, sigh myself
into despair, make myself
crazy from the helplessness
of it all, wild and crazy
from the lack of answers
turning it off
so I can be on when I 
need to be.

© Valerie Bridgeman
April 19, 2013


1 comment:

  1. But if I am going to be worth the revolution... O I love that line. I so feel you on the upset over people "bringing their own bigotry to the conversation who think bomb-for-bomb is a reasoned response." Thank you for feeling. Thank you for sharing with others if us who feel. Thank you for loving like you do.

    ReplyDelete