Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A POEM FOR MAMA: I'M NOT STUPID

I found a poem (in a journal) that I wrote after something my mother said. She was in the throes of Alzheimer's Hell. I wish I knew what prompted her to say, "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid"... 2001 (she wasn't crazy either).

She knows her brain misfires
like bad pistons in an engine
that needs retooling
She catches herself pressing
forward in mental motion
to recall words she hears
in her head, but cannot for all
her trying summon to her tongue

She reminds herself that this story
has already been told, then 
repeats it anyway

She is so aware that her
good sense betrays her
is insulted by her own
stammering by what she
calls her baby babbling

She despises the blank start
induced by too-strong doses,
narcotics dull her mind
to keep her from the persistent
shaking, precursor to fall

But she'd rather have her mind
the wit, well-framed retorts
and take her chances
at a broken hip

©  Valerie Bridgeman
June 11, 2001, edited 
POSTED April 3, 2013

1 comment: