Thursday, December 5, 2013

MADIBA

Dear Rolihlahla Dalibhunga ("Nelson") Mandela (Madiba):

You left us today. You left this earth plane
and ascended to the realm of the Ancestors
into the arms of Almighty God. I have not
cried. I don't know that I will. Not because I
do not feel the loss, but because this leaving
seems so much like something of us is
gone--human soul, human decency. It's not
that we were more decent with you here, 
just that we could be reminded, chastened
even by your gigantic humanness. My tears
have not come because I am struggling
to find my human parts, the parts you
awakened. I'm too petty to be compared to you.
The best I can do toward my enemies--most
days--is ignore them. When I am vulnerable
I pray for them, but I'm not convinced that
my praying is not selfish--an act to protect
myself as much as change the world.
You were subjected to horrors I cannot 
wrap my mind around. I walked into the
cell on Robben Island where you lived for 27 years
--where you were allowed one visitor per year
for 30 minutes for 27 years. How you came
out glorious instead of a luminous madman
is a wonder, the ultimate proof of miracle.
That you came out not raging--a mystery.
Venerable Elder of the Human Tribe
your legacy is deep, wide, long, and full.
I bow in honor of the life you lived in resistance
to the death-dealing Apartheid that cut at
black South African souls. You shone for
us. You SHINE now. I bow. I bow.
We are more human because of you.
Rest, Great Lion. Rise as a great Ancestor
not just to your bloodline, but for us all, egan.
We need you. Now, more than ever.

© Valerie Bridgeman
December 5, 2013

Rolihlahla Dalibhunga ("Nelson") Mandela (Madiba): Born July 18, 1918. Died December 5, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment