Wednesday, November 20, 2013

TRANS LOVE

In recognition of International Transgender Day of Remembrance

I never knew you as "a girl,"
though I suspect you were "in drag,"
never a girl at all, but the world
labeled you such because
the doctor said that's what you were,
that you were born one
But you never were, you only
had the accidents of a body
that did not tell the truth
about your inner soul,
the mind that guided you

I knew that the first time
I saw you; I saw the man
you are, the man you've
always been--the little boy
who never got to do "little boy"
things, but who would have
had they let you. And now
everything about you,
from the way you held me
to the way you kissed
the pain away when I
never thought it possible
You were never a girl
That I know.

© Valerie Bridgeman
November 20, 2013

1 comment: